Landlord issues

The Advice Team is a professional service always here to help you resolve your problems.


Harassment can occur when the landlord or someone connected with the landlord interferes with your right to live quietly and safely in your own home.

Harassment does not always have to be extreme and can include actions such as:

  • Stopping the supply of gas, electricity or water to your property
  • Refusing to do repairs
  • Frequent unannounced visits, especially if late at night
  • Entering your home when you are not there, without your permission
  • Making threats and/or telling you to leave


Illegal eviction

Occurs when the landlord has not followed the correct legal procedure in order to evict you.

Your landlord has to serve notice to you that they intend to seek possession and then obtain an eviction warrant through the courts. Unless you share part of your accommodation with your landlord, such as bathroom, kitchen and living areas, you can only be forced by County Court bailiffs.

Examples of illegal eviction can include:

  • Changing the locks while you are out
  • Being physically thrown out
  • Prevented from getting into part or all of your home


Other information

If you feel you are being harassed or think you may have been illegally evicted here's what you can do:

Advice articles

Latest articles from our Advice Team

BCUSU Advice Team

Protect yourself from scams

Read on for advice on how to identify and report potential scams...

Thu 29 Feb 2024
Image of students sitting on outdoor bench in courtyard

Beware of rental scams

Read for how to protect yourself from recent housing scams...

Thu 14 Dec 2023
Image of Luke, VP Academic Experience, hosting a stall at Margaret Street, School of Art

Artificial Intelligence update

Things to look out for when using AI in your assessments...

Thu 21 Sep 2023

Is your tenancy agreement bills inclusive?

Make sure you understand what this really means and how it may affect your energ...

Sat 30 Sep 2023
View more